- Swiss currency is CHF and is very close to the value if the US dollar.
- If you are traveling by car, use the public garage by the main train station. Their parking rates are fantastic. We stayed for seven hours and paid 12CHF.
- The best place to get your money exchanged is at the main train station. With a flat rate charge of 4CHF per transaction, they cannot be beat.
- First stop Rhine Falls: This is a must see for nature lovers and photographers. We drove into Zürich, so we hit this beautiful sight on our way into the city. It is about thirty minutes outside of Zürich by car. Seeing it in the morning with the sun shinning over the water is breathtaking. Rhine Falls even has it’s own train stop making it so easy to get to from Zürich. Seeing the falls is totally free!!! There is a castle open for tours perched above the Falls, as well as many outdoor activities available from April to October.
- Next stop Swiss National Museum: The museum chronicles the history of Switzerland from the beginning to modern day. The museum caters to all facets of history. There is something for everyone to enjoy inside. 10CHF and closed on Mondays.
- Now it is time to see Grossmünster Church: The inside of this church is so stunning. Be sure to take time to see the stained glass windows and the alter. After looking around, purchase tickets (4CHF) to go up the tower. Be warned it is 300 steps to the top filled with narrow stairwells and a very steep climb. I promise the views will be worth it it all.
- Lunch: Confiserie Sprüngli is a must. The food is so fresh and delicious. Order dessert from the counter to accompany your lunch, especially if it is Sunday since the shop will be closed.
- After lunch wonder the city. See everything it has to offer. Walk around stop to admire fountains, buildings, boutique windows, and stroll along the many bridges for beautiful views. Just soak the city in and everything it has to offer. You will not be disappointed.
- We spent our evening inside the train station’s Christmas market enjoying the foods offered, admiring the booths, and awing at the beautifully adorned tree. If you come during the holiday season this is a must do.
- Dinner: We did not stay in the city for dinner, opting to arrive home just before 8. I do however feel confident recommending Bindella as a place to have dinner. We plan to make another trip and allow ourselves time for dinner here. We walked by this lovely place and the aroma wafting out their doors was heavenly.
There you have it, our tips on having a wonderful experience in Zürich. Please feel free to comment with thoughts or questions.